Welcome to our very first #BoozyFridays post, courtesy of our friends at CHOMP!
The creators of Hong Kong’s popular food rescue app are experts at reducing food waste, and they’ll be sharing a zero waste cocktail recipe with us every Friday that utilises some of the most common (and possibly, expiring) items in your pantry.
First up, we’ve got a delicious Overripe Banana Daquiri made with… you guessed it, overripe bananas!
See also: Chomp: Taking a Bite Out of Food Waste
First, make the syrup:
OVERRIPE BANANA SYRUP
- 75g Overripe Banana – (about ½ a medium banana)
- 75g Cane Sugar – (about 1/3 cup)
- 50g Water – (just under 13/4 oz.)
- Pinch salt
- Cut your overripe banana into thin slices and place them in a small pan.
- Add sugar on top of the slices and stir until you coat all of the banana pieces.
- Let the bananas and sugar sit for about 3 hours and then add the water to the pan.
- Heat the mixture gently over a medium heat for about 5 minutes without boiling.
- Remove the mixture from heat and let sit covered in the fridge overnight.
- Strain, bottle and keep refrigerated.
Then, use the banana syrup to make a daiquiri:
OVERRIPE BANANA DAIQUIRI
- 11/2 oz. White Rum
- 3/4 oz. Lime Juice
- 1 oz. Homemade Banana Syrup
- 1 dash of Bitters
- Add all the ingredients to your shaker.
- Add ice and give it a good shake for about 12 seconds.
- Strain into a chilled cocktail glass and enjoy.
Sign up for the 8Shades weekly newsletter to get our top stories in your inbox!